- More than ever, Americans care about the quality and safety of the food they eat. They're bringing back an American tradition: raising their own backyard chickens for eggs and companionship. And they care about the quality of life of their chickens. Fresh Eggs Daily is an authoritative, accessible guide to coops, nesting boxes, runs, feed, and natural health care with time-tested remedies. The author promotes the benefits of keeping chickens happy and well-occupied, and in optimal health, free of chemicals and antibiotics. She emphasizes the therapeutic value of herbs and natural supplements to maintaining a healthy environment for your chickens. Includes many "recipes" and 8 easy DIY projects for the coop and run. Full color photos throughout.
- From hatching chicks to putting eggs on the table, this comprehensive guide has all the information you need to successfully keep chickens. Gail Damerow shows you how to choose the right breeds for your needs, build efficient chicken coops, provide necessary medical attention for your animals, and much more. Whether you're raising broilers for meat or preparing your chickens to win a blue ribbon at the next county fair, Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens will help you achieve your poultry-raising goals.
- Valuable, short guide for beginners on how to start a backyard mini-flock of 2-4 chickens and get fresh eggs every day. Written by the author of the best-selling Fresh Food From Small Spaces book, a former columnist for Urban Farm magazine.
- Many gardeners fear chickens will peck away at their landscape, and chicken lovers often shy away from gardening for the same reason. But you can keep chickens and have a beautiful garden, too! Fresh eggs aren't the only benefit — chickens can actually help your garden grow and thrive, even as your garden does the same for your chickens.
- In this essential handbook, award-winning garden designer Jessi Bloom covers everything a gardener needs to know, including chicken-keeping basics, simple garden plans to get you started, tips on attractive fencing options, the best plants and plants to avoid, and step-by-step instructions for getting your chicken garden up and running.
- For anyone who wants a fabulous garden where colorful chickens happily roam, Free-Range Chicken Gardens is the guide that will bring the dream home to roost.
- The most comprehensive guide to date on raising all-natural poultry for the small-scale farmer, homesteader, and professional grower. The Small-Scale Poultry Flock offers a practical and integrative model for working with chickens and other domestic fowl, based entirely on natural systems.
- Readers will find information on growing (and sourcing) feed on a small scale, brooding (and breeding) at home, and using poultry as insect and weed managers in the garden and orchard. Ussery's model presents an entirely sustainable system that can be adapted and utilized in a variety of scales, and will prove invaluable for beginner homesteaders, growers looking to incorporate poultry into their farm, or poultry farmers seeking to close their loop.
- Ussery offers extensive information on:
- The definition of an integrated poultry flock (imitation of natural systems, integrating patterns, and closing the circle)
- Everything you need to know about your basic chicken (including distinctive points about anatomy and behavior that are critical to management)
Extended information on poultry health and holistic health care, with a focus on prevention
- Planning your flock (flock size, choosing breeds, fowl useful for egg vs. meat production, sourcing stock)
- How to breed and brood the flock (including breeding for genetic conservation), including the most complete guide to working with broody hens available anywhere
- Making and mixing your own feed (with tips on equipment, storage, basic ingredients, technique, grinding and mixing)
- Providing more of the flock's feed from sources grown or self-foraged on the homestead or farm, including production of live protein feeds using earthworms and soldier grubs
- Using poultry to increase soil fertility, control crop damaging insects, and to make compost-including systems for pasturing and for tillage of cover crops and weeds
- Recipes for great egg and poultry dishes (including Ussery's famous chicken stock!)
- And one of the best step-by-step poultry butchering guides available, complete with extensive illustrative photos.
- No other book on raising poultry takes an entirely whole-systems approach, or discusses producing homegrown feed and breeding in such detail. This is a truly invaluable guide that will lead farmers and homesteaders into a new world of self-reliance and enjoyment.
- Learn everything you need to know to get started on your poultry adventure with these quick answers to your frequently asked questions. The Working Chicken begins by helping you choose the perfect flock for your family, then explains how to feed and house your new pets. Finally, the book's permaculture twist ensures that your chickens will not only be happy and healthy, they'll also keep your family healthy too.
- Robert and Hannah Litt have dispensed advice to hundreds of urban and suburban chicken-keepers from behind their perch at Portland's Urban Farm Store, and now they’re ready to help you go local and sustainable with your own backyard birds.
- In this handy guide to breeds, feed, coops, and care, the Litts take you under their experienced wings and share the secrets to:
- Picking the breeds that are right for you
- Building a sturdy coop in one weekend for $100
- Raising happy and hearty chicks
- Feeding your flock for optimal health and egg nutrition
- Preventing and treating common chicken diseases
- Planning ahead for family, neighborhood, and legal considerations
- Whipping up tasty egg recipes from flan to frittata
- With everything that first-timers will need to get started—along with expert tips for more seasoned keepers—this colorful, nuts-and-bolts manual proves that keeping chickens is all it’s cracked up to be.
- If you who want to raise chickens but don’t know where to begin, Chick Days offers a warm and spirited introduction to these quirky backyard birds. Jenna Woginrich chronicles the life journey of three chickens (Amelia, Honey, and Tilda) from fluffy, newly hatched bundles to grown hens laying eggs of their own. As you watch these chickens grow, you’ll learn everything you need to know about chicken behavior, feeding, housing, and health care. This playfully informative guide will inspire you to confidently raise your own feathered flock.
- With directives on diagnosing and treating sick or ailing chickens, as well as general information on how to keep chickens in peak condition, Chicken Health For Dummies is your go-to guide on how to best care for and keep chickens.
- Inside, you'll get everything you need to know about chicken health and wellness: an encyclopedia full of common and not-so-common diseases, injuries, symptoms, and cures that chicken owners may encounter. Chicken Health For Dummies provides chicken owners with one handy, all-encompassing resource.
- Helps you identify potential hazards and signs of ill health in your chicken
- Shows you how to properly examine chickens to identify and isolate potential health issues before they spread to the rest of the flock
- An encyclopedia full of common and uncommon diseases, injuries, symptoms, and cures for chickens
- Chicken Health For Dummies joins Raising Chickens For Dummies and Building Chickens Coops For Dummies to round out the For Dummies reference library as a must-have resource for both rural and urban chicken owners.
- **Amazon No 1 Best Seller** A Beginners Guide to Keeping Backyard Chickens covers all of the basics you need to get up and running with your very own flock of chickens. Discover the simple you of owning these delightfully funny birds while suppling your family with a cheap and healthy source of eggs or meat or even both.
- Loaded with helpful tips and advice, this book cover topics from setting up your make yard and how to keep your chickens healthy and stress free.
- The book is also loaded with many chicken DIY projects including:
- Food And Water Feeders
- Egg Incubators
- Spinning Compost Drum
- Various Coops And Chicken Tractor Ideas
- Chicken Runs
- Don't miss out on the joy of owning chickens, get started now!